Eastward Ho!




Follow my adventures as I embark on a journey of a lifetime. I'll be overlanding from London to Darwin for six months, experiencing many countries and cultures along the way. From Australia, I'll continue east around the globe until I end up back at the beginning, just in time for Christmas dinner. That's the plan anyway, whether I stick to that plan is a different story...........

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Kazakhstan - and not a mankini in sight

Our time in Kazakhstan was short but for me definitely very sweet, and my only regret was that we weren't there longer.
 
After yet another long hot border crossing whilst we waited for the truck to be x-rayed and the paperwork sorted, we set off in the truck.  The journey was made interesting by the complete contrast in scenery to Uzbekistan - there were birds of prey, unusual blue birds, donkeys dressed up as Zebras, horses, camels, cows, all of the above wasn't seen in Uzbekistan at all, there was a distinct lack of wildlife there.  In Kazakhstan, the desert was replaced by greenery and wildlife.

We bushcamped for two nights, the first by a trainline, which kept everyone (except me) up all night with super long trains tooting their horns and flying past most of the night.
Bushcamp which later provided spectacular lightening scenes

Goats heading home for the night


The second bush camp was more deserted, except for a little house near to the camp.  The lady living there invited us into her home, so about ten of us went over to see her and her husband.  They could speak no English, and we couldn't
speak any Kazakh, but somehow we got by as she showed us photos of her family as we sat around on the floor as there was no furniture in the main living room, no light and a few rugs adorning the walls. 

Kazakhstan was a fly by visit, but for me, a really memorable one and I loved it there!
A farmer manouvering between the tents

Jenn and I bushcamping

This car needs the AA!


Inside a Kazakh house

The lovely couple we met, outside their home
The house we visited

No comments:

Post a Comment