Eastward Ho!




Follow my adventures as I embark on a journey of a lifetime. I'll be overlanding from London to Darwin for six months, experiencing many countries and cultures along the way. From Australia, I'll continue east around the globe until I end up back at the beginning, just in time for Christmas dinner. That's the plan anyway, whether I stick to that plan is a different story...........

Sunday 6 November 2011

We Made It!

So, here we are, after six months on the road in a truck, and it has been immense.

There have been trials and tribulations, arguments and unrest, but what can you expect with over 20 people living in each others' pockets the whole time.

Having said that, we all got on remarkably well and gelled like a family, and I'll only ever remember the many good times we shared.  There have been so many.

Missing you all already, but am looking forward to seeing my family and friends back home. Before that though, I have a few weeks in New Zealand, then Sydney for a few days and then 10 days in Dubai to see my Dad and his wife before touching down in good old Blighty to give everyone a big hug.

If anyone is reading this and is unsure whether to do a trip like this, I say go for it, you'll never regret it, it has been an amazing experience.

Thanks to all my travelling buddies on Calypso,  I will never forget you, and a big thanks to Jim and CJ, our crew, who got us all the way from England to Singapore, unscathed and intact after 26,0000 km. 

A good friend Russell asked me back home before the trip if I was going on an expedition or an exploration adding, "an expedition is a journey with a purpose and an exploration is a purpose with a journey."  Well Russell, after six months I have come to the conclusion that I was on both!

Here are some photos of the the truck, group shots in various locations and some random ones thrown in too, most are a mixture of photos taken by people on the trip.
Preparing the first evening meal and getting to know the truck Calypso in Tournai

Our first "proper" bush camp in Turkey
Waiting at the port in Azerbaijan to cross the Caspian Sea, after sleeping in or around the truck, some not sleeping at all!
CJ - "We're going that way!"
Me at the beginning of the trip at the port of Dover, wondering what lay ahead
Me at the end of the 6 months, how they flew!
The boys after the last journey on calypso
At the end of the road, the girls
The day Denis announced he was a grandad, a celebratory drink on the truck
On the Great Wall of China
Even in the depths of China you can still find a piece of home!
Peles Castle Romania
Climbing up a rope ladder onto a fort on the Great Wall of China
In Prague
On a hike in Kyrgyzstan
Khao San Road Bangkok
Lunch stop in China
"Christmas day" Kyrgyzstan
Perhentian Islands, and Zoe's birthday
On a hike at Turda Gorge, Romania
At the Foreign Correspondence Club, Cambodia
On the DMZ tour in Vietnam




We also liked to JUMP a lot!!
!
Jumping at a lake in Kyrgyzstan
Jumping at our beach resort in Thailand
Jumping in the heat of Laos during a 30km bike ride
Jumping to keep out of the flames at the Darvaza Gas Crater, Turkmenistan
Denis loving life in Kyrgyzstan




Who could forget, Paul, Andrea and Richard who started out on this great journey with us, we certainly had some fun!
Cheeky Paul
Paul squaring up to a cow
The honeymooners, Richard and Andrea
So thanks everyone for making my trip so special x

Cheers!!



1 comment:

  1. I miss you! This was a great post (and you caught up!)...thanks for posting all of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete